Saturday 24 October 2015

Review: Panic

Title: Panic
Author: Lauren Oliver
Series: Panic #1
Genre: Young adult, contemporary, romance
Publication: March 4th 2014
Pages: 408




















The promise is always in the possibility...

Panic is a game, a game that could make you rich, a game that challenges you, a game that can kill you. It began as many thinks do, boredom, and nobody knows it's true origins. For Heather, she never expected to be one of the ones stupidly risking her life for money. But when jealously sends her over the edge, quite literally in the opening jump, she has no choice.

As for Dodge, he feels he has nothing to lose, and he needs revenge. He needs payback for the pain and turmoil caused in his life. But everybody has a reason to play Panic, he isn't the only person in this to win it. 

But could both Heather and Dodge win something more than just money? 


I was so surprised by how much I liked this book!

After hearing such mixed reviews of this book, I didn't really know how to approach it. With Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver being one of my all time favourite books, I didn't want this book to ruin the good reputation Oliver had in my head. I didn't want to be let down. But I wasn't! 

After staring at this book for over a year in my local library...It was time to borrow it...

And I had to go back later that day to return it because I read it in one sitting! The writing flowed so well and I loved the alternating point of view between Dodge and Heather balanced with the sort of diary format, with every so often, the chapters opening with a date. Oliver knows how to format a book well. And Panic is no exception to that. 

My only issue with the book was that I couldn't shake the fact that this was kind of unrealistic, if the police wanted to ban it so badly, why didn't they remember it from when they were younger? Or follow the crowds of young people who left Carp to go to the events? Also, what teenagers have that scale of organisation?

Other than that issue though, I feel it may finally be time to pick up Delirium series as I've enjoyed two of this author's work so far. Seriously, pick this book up if you get the chance. 









3 comments:

  1. I really liked this one too. I didn't read it in one sitting because I was subbing the day that I read it, but I read it in one day. It's definitely one of my favorites of Lauren Oliver's.

    AND THE TIGERS. OMG. I loved that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it such a brilliant touch! It comes just under Before I Fall for me! I've ordered my copies of the Delirium series to come for a series reading challenge I'm doing on Goodreads in November and December ^.^

      Delete
  2. I never actually finished this book, it didn't catch my interest but it's really encouraging to hear that you enjoyed it :D maybe I'll give it another go at some point...

    Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/sunday-post-1.html

    ReplyDelete